Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mantra

During a private yoga class yesterday, I was teaching a student the Maha Mrityunjaya -- a chant to Shiva -- and was surprised at how much I love working with Mantras! I know it sounds funny to be surprised at remembering activities I enjoy, but I often forget things that I like to do.

Perhaps my mind is so filled with activities that need to be done, like errands, taxes, work, obligations, and so on, that it "crowds" out the fun. Or it could be my ego flavor (I occasionally "do 9" for those of you familiar with the Enneagram). Regardless of the reason for my forgetfulness, I was happily caught in a joyful activity yesterday. What a great feeling to accidentally slip into one of my favorite pass-times!!

There are numerous translations of the word Mantra. A common practice in Tantra (a spiritual tradition that sees true divine nature in everything and everyone), the Sanskrit word mantra comes from man-, from manas or mind, and tra-, to transcend or protect. So, the translation I prefer is that a mantra helps to protect us from our minds, or helps us to transcend the mind. As should be clear from the fact that my mind often forgets enjoyable activities, I definitely need protection from it!

http://www.akuparayoga.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment